Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Running low on household items

I ran out of dishwasher soap last night, and we're almost out of laundry soap.

Dishwasher soap
Mix and use per dishwasher load:
1 Tablespoon Borax
1 Tablespoon Baking soda

Powdered Laundry Detergent
1 Cup Grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax

For light load, use 1 tablespoon.
For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 tablespoons.
Ivory Soap, Deodorant Soap, and Beauty Bars can be substituted for the Fels Naptha Soap. Essential Oils can be added to soap for fragrance.

Borax and washing soda come in cardboard containers. The soap is probably packaged in plastic, but compared to the containers that most laundry detergent comes in, it's minimal. I'm going to test these out in the next few days.

We're also running low on liquid hand soap and regular dish soap. I can refill our bottle at Madison Market in their bulk section. I can also use bar soap for our hands (I still have quite a few bars leftover from my L'Occitane days). I've looked up homemade dish soap online, but most seem to require glycerin, which I believe comes in plastic bottles. Any ideas?

No comments: